Thursday 31 December 2015

The Best of 2015

As a horror fan 2015 has been a great year with so many cool (mostly independent) new films coming out. Allow me to share with you my top 8 films for 2015 and why I loved them in no particular order.

The boys are ready for a night on the town.

What We Do in the Shadows

I figured I should start off this list with what is probably the best horror comedy of the year. This movie was hilarious. It knew the vampire genre like the back of it's hand and was able to use that knowledge to create many jokes. All the characters are well crafted and the film is insanely quotable. There's even some decent blood effects in it if you desperately need gore.



Funerals, the most romantic of events.

Crimson Peak

This movie is absolutely gorgeous. Be it the costumes, sets or cinematography it was the most beautiful film I saw all year. What also made this film stand out for me was how you expected it to be the overdone damsel in distress film, but it turned out to be anything but.

This is what happens when you name your kid Patriot!
Cooties

Just when I thought I was completely sick and tired of zombie movies Cooties came along. Of course the star of this comedy is Elijah Wood who plays a failed horror author returning to his home town as a substitute teacher. Alison Pill and Rain Wilson also deliver some knee slapping performances in this pint sized gorefest.

OH GOD NOT PEACH FUZZ!!!
Creep

It's very rare that found footage is done well, but this movie is one of those rare gems. This film is just plain weird. You never know what is going on in it until the end and even then you are still left with so many questions. Mark Duplass is fucking creepy in this and that's what makes the movie.

Ice cream is so metal.
Deathgasm

I can't remember if in the past I have told you all about my love for the tv show Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, but if I haven't it's an amazing Canadian show that features some hilarious practical effects. Well this movie is like Todd, but on steroids. Let's just say I never knew how dangerous sex toys could be before seeing this film.

It watches... intently.
It Follows

This was one of the creepiest movies of the year, even had my boyfriend looking over his shoulder walking home from his car that night. The atmosphere of the film is great, well assisted by the score. A great throwback to 80s slashers but with it's own twist this movie packs a punch right up until the very end of the film.

While the plot is completely different from The Polar Express, it is just as terrifying.
Krampus

I'm literally just going to give you a link to my Christmas post where I talked about it already.

That's how my first dates usually end.
Spring

On twitter I described this film as the YA romance novel someone might write after reading way too much Lovecraft. I'm not generally the mushy type, but this film was super romantic in my books and it made me feel all lovey dovey after watching it. Yes I can only enjoy romance if there are monsters involved, and this movie delivers on both making it the perfect date night movie for any horror lover with a partner or date who insists they don't like scary movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment